Monday, 10 November 2014

Is Your Sitecore Package NOT Creating Items?

Scenario:
Few days ago, installing Sitecore package on stage server was NOT creating any item at expected location. It surprised me!



Then like other Sitecore developer, we examined the package and at first glance we found it OK.
But after examining package closely, we found that Sitecore package contained different parent item name than expected. So we went back to content editor and found that parent item name was as expected. Then why Sitecore was creating different parent folder name in package?

We were stuck up at this point and solving this puzzle can solve our package issue also.

Findings:
Suddenly we realized that Sitecore has feature called Display Name which empowers you to show different item name in content editor than actual item name. Could it be culprit of this issue?

We kept digging in that direction and found that it was the only culprit of our package installation issue.

Solution:
We went to display name field of our parent item name and found that it was containing text "Why Work Here". We removed that text and it revealed everything. After removing text from display name, we found that original item name was different than "Why Work Here". It was "Why Work Here At" and we saw same name while examining Sitecore package items.


Due to this, Sitecore was creating package for item having name "Why Work Here At" and was trying to install at item name having "Why Work Here" which was NOT existing at destination.

We then recreated package and installed on Stage server. It worked!
This may seem simple issue once you found the reason, but it's good to share.

Have a happy Sitecore Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment